Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 17:48:57 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Porters Handbook - how and where are DOCs put?

> On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 08:52:21AM -0800, papowell@astart.com wrote:
> > Just was reading the Porters Handbook,  and noticed that
> > there are no directions on how and where to install documentation.
>
> You have about 4,000 ports to look at for examples, and hier(7).  Would
> be nice if somebody updated the handbook, but that requires work I'd
> rather export on newports/updates.  ;P

Well, I've got a few things to say about updating the handbook ... namely
that my efforts to submit fixes have been met with silence.  I've sent
updates to the doc team numerous times, and I have never received a response
regarding my updates (whether they were rejected, and if so, why, etc.)

That's why I ignore the porters-handbook and base my ports on existing
ports.  Mind you, this causes some bad practices to proliferate, but what
can you do..

--
Matthew Emmerton