Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:30:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Increasing the size of dev_t and ino_t

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Andrea Campi wrote:

> The server is still a problem, yes. Garance, don't you know of any
> anonymously accessible systems? I'm sure there are a few but don't think
> I wrote them down anywhere. :( That would save us quite a bit of time;
> it's something an experienced admin could set up in an afternoon with
> appropriate hardware at hand, but it would take you a couple of days
> starting from scratch, just to figure out all the messy documentation.
> Again, if you decided to just do that I could help.

My impression was that many .edu cells are anonymously accessible to at
least some extent, or some of the boot-strapping tricks wouldn't work.  I
could be wrong, however.

> > There is a web site for openafs, at www.openafs.org.  That
> > has downloadable client installations forMacOS 10, some
> > versions of Windows, Linux, Solaris, IRIX, AIX, and
> > Tru64 Unix.  That web site does not have a client for the
> > Net,Open, or FreeBSD's.  Most of the BSD's probably go with
> > the ARLA port for their AFS client.
>
> I never got OpenAFS working on -current but I heard someone is working
> on that. Note also that the kernel module is designed to be sort-of
> compatible between different implementation, so that you could use it
> witk either the OpenAFS or arla client.

I've recently been exchanging e-mail with developers at CMU regarding the
OpenAFS code, so there's certainly activity in that space.  Also, OpenAFS
was ported to Darwin and OS X.  Although AFS isn't a big part of the
FreeBSD community, there seems to be a lot of interest in FreeBSD on the
AFS side of the world.

> > Unfortunately, I noticed that someone else just mentioned
> > that the ARLA port is broken on current -- and here I just
> > switched to running current.  Sigh...
>
> Yes, that's me. I think we should take this offline until we have
> something interesting to add ;-)

Unfortunately, I largely live in a network environment where I can't hook
up AFS easily due to a proxy-model firewall, or I'd be interested in
helping out.  If the OpenAFS people make the server run happily and easily
on FreeBSD, I can provide some help with the Arla client given enough time
to set up a simply server.  However, what we really need are maintainers
who use AFS daily to make this work -- it's a complex system that will
require extensive testing and careful tracking.