Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 16:54:05 +0600 (NOVT)
From:      "Dmitry A. Novoselov" <dan837@cclib.nsu.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   my vision: what is -RELEASE and -STABLE

hallo!

i'm kinda new to freebsd, and so i have a question. now, i just stay my
visions of the things, and i ask someone to say whether i am right or not
and possibly correct me. so, here i go:

=+=+=+=
freebsd is very cool system ;) distributed in a two ways: binary and
source. binary distribs are -RELEASE and -SNAP. source distribs are
-STABLE and -CURRENT. we'll leave away -SNAP and -CURRENT, since we want
stability here first (no plans for development yet :)

-RELEASE is ones only way to setup *BRAND NEW* system - to my knoledge, i
can't buy new computer, wipe whatever is on my hdd, and install -STABLE on
it - becase it has no sysinstall, no binaries, et cetera.

instead, i pickup any -RELEASE, say 3.4, install it (probably even minimal
bin distibution), than install cvsup and get all up to 3.4-STABLE, (it is
just 3-STABLE branch, right?). one question however: if i install ony
minimal bin distro (read: no source files) it will take *much* longer to
cvsup than if i install system bins + sources, right?

so, correct me if i am happen to be wrong: the optimal RELEASE
installation would be system binaries + sources, but no additional
packages/ports. than i setup cvsup and get -STABLE. make world, and i am
happy (don't forget kernel recompilation, of course). after that, i
stay with -STABLE.

thus, -RELEASE is merely for first-time installation.

+=+=+=

am i correct? i would like get answers to *all* of mine questions.

please reply.

							dmitry