Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:52:51 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Chris Stankevitz <cstankevitz@toyon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Packages available for different FreeBSD versions

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Chris Stankevitz <cstankevitz@toyon.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Hello, I have two questions:
>
> 1. Is it true that I have the choice to run these versions of FreeBSD:
>
> 8.0 CURRENT
> 7.2 RELEASE
> 7.2 STABLE
> 7.2 CURRENT
> 7.1 RELEASE
> 7.1 STABLE
> 7.1 CURRENT
> 7.0 RELEASE
> 7.0 STABLE
> 7.0 CURRENT
> 6.4 RELEASE
> 6.4 STABLE
> 6.4 CURRENT

That is an abbreviated list.

> 2. For each of the versions above, what version of GCC and VirtualBox is
> available?  I don't intend for this questions to directly be answered -- I'm
> hoping for a site that lists the versions of all packages available for a
> particular version of FreeBSD like this page for gentoo:
> http://packages.gentoo.org/package/www-client/mozilla-firefox
>
> Thank you,
>
> Chris

You question reflects a linux background which probably explains the
awkwardness of it.  Try to learn the FreeBSD native ports method which gives
much more flexibility at the expense of compile time, but I've heard gentoo
does something similar so perhaps the pain of waiting is not too great.
Packages are compiled for commonly used ports at release time.  These
packages are versioned at what is in the ports tree at release time.  There
may be other sources but that not something to be counted on.  Ports tree
makes rolling your own packages easy so running various verisons of
gcc/virtualbox is not a problem usually not issue depending on what's
already installed on the system.

--
Adam Vande More