Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 09:54:36 -0400
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot loader worry: moving from 3.0-current to -STABLE

I've just read a message or two on one of the lists about some updates
to the boot loader code that have happened recently in -STABLE.  I have
a particular remote system (located in eastern Europe, actually) that
I'm in the process of upgrading, and I'd appreciate it very much if
someone could assure me that the new boot loader arrangement will not
keep my the system from coming back up once I reboot.

The system is running 3.0-Current, built around mid-December.  I've just
now cvsup'ed down the latest -STABLE code and its happily
buildworld'ing.   I have the text "/boot/loader" in the file
/boot.config .  After I installworld and reboot, should the new boot
loader be happy?

I tend to be optimistic about these things... if I'm not too reckless
upgrades usually go like clockwork for me.  But in this case... with the
system being on another continent, I'm trying to be a wee bit more
careful.

Thanks!
---

  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx