Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:55:43 +0000
From:      Robert Slade <bsd@bathnetworks.com>
To:        Teilhard Knight <teilhk@crosswinds.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: USB mice

On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 10:15, Teilhard Knight wrote:
> > Teilhard Knight wrote:
> >
> >> It seems to me that the way FreeBSD is catching up with new hardware
> >> leaves you unsatisfied. One has to choose, upon boot, the option to use
> >> an USB keyboard by hand, and I have found no way to make a USB mouse to
> >> work. The OS broadly supports serial mice and hardly PS/2 mice, both
> >> almost out of the market nowadays. Are USB mice supported by FreeBSD?
> >>
> >> Teilhard.
> >>

> > Currently all three systems which run FreeBSD have USB mice, two of them
> > just plain Logitech optical mouses, the third is a Logitech MX 300, but
> > every other mouse should work when you have enabled moused. Try plugin in
> > the mouse when FreeBSD is up and running, it should detect it
> > automatically
>
> It didn't work. Actually I have a little more than a USB mouse, I have a
> wireless mouse and wireless keyboard which are both controlled by a central
> unit which plugs into an USB port in the computer. The keyboard works well,
> with the option of booting with an USB keyboard, but I cannot make the mouse
> work. Any suggestions?
>
> Teilhard.

I can confirm what Frank says. I have a number of machines running
mainly Freebsd. USB and PS/2 mice work fine on both OS' but I did have
problems with a wireless mouse on both. The problem lies with the mouse
connection to the wireless hub. Under XP I had to press the connect
button on both the hub and mouse after booting to get the mouse to
connect to the hub and then re-boot to get XP to recognise the mouse was
there.

I gave up on the wireless mouse in the end it was to much trouble.

Rob