Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 01:15:03 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        boia01@pollux.GEL.USherb.CA (Alex.Boisvert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, james@nexis.net, questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Poscript on an Brother HL760 ?

Alex.Boisvert stands accused of saying:
> > > I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had any luck getting postcript
> > > output working on a Brother HL-760 printer.
> >
> > The short answer: don't bother.
> >

> Just to let you know that I set up my HP LasetJet III (with a PacificPage
> PostScript emulation cartridge)
> I do not use ghostscript nor apsfilter and the printing is excellent.  As
> you mentioned, the printing is slower than PCL5 but faster than using
> ghostscript...

I never complained about the print quality, when it works at all.

I have an HP3 here, and a genuine HP Laserjet III Postscript
cartridge.  Unless the PacificPage cart has some snazzy hardware in
it, my verdict on the speed af a 16MHz 68000 rendering postscript
stands; it sucks when compared against the sort of performance you get
out of ghostscript on just about anything else.

Note that to get any sort of decent throughput to the LJ3, you want to
turn the tiff compression _on_.