Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2003 01:09:43 +0100
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lowest possible mhz speed for playing mpeg/dvd video ?

--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N

> I am considering purchasing a toshiba libretto 110ct with a pentium 233
> mhz MMX processor.
>=20
> Is this speed/processor fast enough to play mpeg video and DVD movies from
> my hard drive, assuming I have _no_ hardware acceleration at all ?

I have an AMD K6-III 400 here, and I can watch DivX movies at 1024x768 using
mplayer, but only with xv support from an old ATI Rage II and with the
"-framedrop" option set.

Unfortunately, DVD playback does not work, although my DVD drive is working=
 in
DMA mode. Replacing my ISA sound card with a PCI soundblaster did not help
either... (I am writing this because the mplayer documentation hints that a=
 bad
sound card will slow down everything).

Simon

--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N