Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 14:52:27 +0000
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@star-gate.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Cc:        Hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: motif...

>>> Brian Tao said:
 > On Mon, 10 Apr 1995, Mark J. Taylor wrote:
 > >

 >     Yep.  Amazing how much faster it runs on a machine with proper
 > graphics hardware.  :)  I really, really want to see this ported to
 > FreeBSD.  We should probably look at the rest of the U of Mn Geometry
 > Center software too.  They've got some neat stuff there.

Yeap, it would be nice to have 3D support for FreeBSD, perhaps
someone could contact Martin Marietta to see about the
availability of a PC card based on their chipset :)

	Amancio

--------------------start-rendering ----------------------------

Lockheed Martin 3D Graphics Accelerator offers real-time PC visual system
performance.

Bethesda Maryland, March 20- Lockheed Martin announced today it is
entering the 3D graphics PC market with a high-performance chip set based
on real-time computer image generation technology that gives a
combination of dynamic response and realism previously available only on
dedicated graphics workstations and high end custom image generators.

The Real3D(tm) brand name will be applied to a series of commercial and
consumer computer graphics products. The first product, R3D/100, is a
graphics accelerator that provides high throughput, high realism and
sustained real-time 3D graphics response. Key performance attributes of
the chip set include an embedded 100 MFLOPS geometry processor, pixel
write rates of up to 33 million pixels per second, up to 750k polygons
per second, line processing up to 1.5 million per second, and provides up
to 192 color texture maps (128x128 mipmapped) in real-time. This
performance eliminates the jerky visual movement found in graphics
products that operate at less-than-real-time rates.

"Real3D(tm) products set a new price performance standard in such areas
as architectural and computer-aided design, object modeling, gameware
development, simulation and real-time visualization," said John Lenyo,
Commercial Visual Systems Business Development Director for Lockheed
Martin Information Systems Co. "Systems running Real-3D-based boards will
be able to function as supercharged graphics accelerators that run 3D
graphics applications in real-time."

The new product is an outgrowth of Lockheed Martin's proprietary computer
graphics technology previously used in high performance military
simulation, engineering research and training applications first
developed for astronaut training and military flight simulators. The
company has invested more that $200 million in research and development
in this product area and owns more than 40 related patents in the field.

Lenyo attributes much of the development success of the new commercial
PC product to experience gained in a highly successful adjacent
application developed for Sega Enterprises, Ltd - the Model 2 Computer
Graphics System. Model 2 is the host hardware platform for Sega's latest
generation of high performance arcade games. First released in February
1994, Sega has shipped over 33,000 Model 2-based arcade games such as the
top-selling Daytona USA(tm), Desert Tank(tm), Virtua Cop(tm), Virtua
Fighter II(tm), and virtual reality theme park ride system, VR-1(tm).

Lockheed Martin's R3D/100 chip set provides faster processing through its
patented hardware design which incorporates geometry processing,
rasterization and texture mapping. The R3D/100 embedded floating point
geometry processor removes significant processing burden from the host
CPU. The patented texture processor applies color mipmapped texture to
polygons in true 3D corrected perspective.

Designed as a true polygon processor with texture processing and
scaleable texture memory from the outset, the R3D/100 chip set includes
dedicated hardware acceleration of mipmapped texturing that provides
continuous high fidelity image quality. This chip set simulates
spotlights, fog and realistic curved surfaces. Additionally, improved
image quality is provided with multi-pass anti-aliasing.

The R3D/100 chip set directly interfaces with Microsoft 3D/DDI and
supports all 3D/DDI-compliant APIs, such as OpenGL(tm) and comes with
device driver software and a device driver kit.

Lockheed Martin is a highly diversified $23 billion advanced technology
company with core markets in defense, commercial, civil government,
energy and international markets.

Additional Info:

www    http://www.mmc.com/real3d/
email  real3d@mmc.com