Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:49:33 -0800
From:      "whitevamp" <whitevamp47@hotmail.com>
To:        "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl>, "Walker, Michael" <Michael.Walker2@capita.co.uk>
Cc:        "Freebsd-Questions \(E-mail\)" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Trouble starting MySQL

----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl>
To: "Walker, Michael" <Michael.Walker2@capita.co.uk>
Cc: "Freebsd-Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 6:25 AM

> On Jan 12 at 14:12, Walker, Michael said (somewhat confusingly):
>
>> owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org wrote:

>>> When I take a look at a phpinfo page, it shows no mention that MySQL
>>> exists. AFAIK this ought not to be so.
>>>
>>> I installed php last night (again, from ports) and remembered that
>>> there oughtta be support for mysql. So this is how I built php, though
>>> now I'm wondering if I installed it correctly since it seems braindead
>>> to the existence of MySQL
>>>
>>> make with-mysql=yes install clean
>>>

>> I don't have a FreeBSD box at work with me at the moment.
>> But check out the following (Im assuming one to be correct)
>> /usr/ports/lang/php-extentions
>> /usr/ports/lang/php4-extentions
>>
>> If both are wrong, it is somewhere very similar.
>
> I'm sorry, you probably think I'm being dense...
> but
> I (honestly) don't understand what you mean.
> Do you mean that one (or other, or both) must *also* be installed for
> php to have any clue that MySQL exists?

yes and its /usr/ports/lang/php4-extentions
when you run make install it will give you a listing of all the extions that
you can install for php just slect mysql from the list

> A colleague has an identical setup and - AFAIK - didn't install either
> one on this or prior installations of FreeBSD/MySQL/php.

Before i updated php to 4.3.10 i didnt have to any of the extions installed
for my setup to work . then after i upgraded php i had all kinds of issues
nuthing worked,I found out that for 4.3.10 to work  the way i whanted it to
i had to install just about every extion in the list. along with recompiling
php its self to inable the extions that i needed.

> If this is a dense and utterly silly question then please excuse the
> braindead nature of it.

not at all.