Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 23:15:08 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        abe olson <abeolson23@attbi.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newbie mount question

On Wednesday 09 January 2002 10:42 pm, abe olson wrote:
> I want to set my machine up so I (the only user of this machine) can
> mount and unmount cdrom's and floppy's without having to become root or
> use su.  I've searched all over the net and the documentation without
> finding a method to do this that works.  I'm using 4.4-RELEASE.  I know
> that this is a huge security hole and all that.  I don't really care.
> Its a single user system.  No one but me and my brother have physical
> access to the machine.  I'm not worried about him since he is deeply
> afraid of my computer ;-)
>
> So far I've tried adding myself to the operator group and changing the
> permissions on the cdrom and floppy devices and directories.  The fstab
> file doesn't support ,user like it does in most linux installs.  I'm
> lost.  Please help me out.
>

> Thanks a lot people.  freebsd rocks.

I use "op" to handle this; more people use "sudo", but I think that "op" is
much nicer -- it's a port.

I would like to be able to turn off this one little bit of security myself,
but in practice typing

op mount /E

is now second nature and not much harder than just

mount /E

(I mount my cd-rom to /E, my floppy to /A, and the Windows partition (well,
when I still had a Windows partition) to /C.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

-------> Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  (let him go home)  <-----------

http://www.eff.org                 http://www.programming-freedom.org