Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:56:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Martin Lozada <martin.lozada@iac.unibe.ch>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disappointed with FreeBSD 4.6

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Martin Lozada wrote:
> Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:51:04 +0200
> From: Martin Lozada <martin.lozada@iac.unibe.ch>
> To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Disappointed with FreeBSD 4.6
>

> Dear Poeple,
>
> I installed FreeBSD 4.6 on my computer few days ago. I chose as desktop
> Gnome+sawfish. No problems during the installation but after it began
> the nightmare. I finally got running startx and what I got was a gnome
> desktop without icons . Nautilus didn't start, due to an unexpected
> error. The error has to do with OAF. I think it's just the beginning.  I
> think I wait for a better version of FreeBSD before performing a new
> installation.
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin L.

FreeBSD is an operating system. GNOME/Sawfish is a window manager. The two
arent really related. If GNOME stinks (for you) don't blame it on FreeBSD.

Try another window manager, there are bazillions in the ports collection.
For yourself I suggest KDE3 if you want a big, full-featured desktop
(icons, file manager, etc.) - KDE3 is a lot more polished than GNOME, IMHO
(no offense GNOME/Sawfish). If you want something simpler try
Windowmaker or Blackbox. All of these can be installed via
/stand/sysinstall w/o having to build from source, although the source
build is easy, too.

One of the great things about the free *nix opsys's is that there are
soooo many different windowing environments available.

I hope you have better luck with KDE ;-)

JB

/*
 * John Bleichert
 * syborg@stny.rr.com