Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 14:04:54 -0800
From:      Steve Wingate <steve@velosystems.net>
To:        "Don James" <outlawtx@bga.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configure XFree86 Server: XF86Setup -- XFree86 setup not installed

> 	I just installed FreeBSD 4.4 and am trying to configure x-windows
> using XF86Setup.  I get the following error message:  "The XFree86 setup
> utility you chose does not appear to be installed!  Please install this
> before attempting to configure XFree86."
>
> 	My question is:  Where the heck is the XFree86 setup utility?  How do
> I install it?  I can't seem to find it with "locate".
>
> 	This is the first time I have received the above error message when
> trying to configure x-windows.

The XF86Setup utility was/is designed for XFree 3.3.x, as the port build states when you install. It also gives you (at least it used to) the option to build the XF86Setup utility in the port with a prompt question, as long as you have some version of TCL installed.
Regardless, even though it's possible you don't want to use it. It generates an XFree 3.x style config file and it won't work the way you want. Example, you won't have a modules section to load freetype, type1 or glx.
Use the tools that were intended to be used with XFree4.x, like xf86cfg and xf86config.