Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 2002 18:18:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Daniel Flickinger <attila@hun.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Trashed Disk Labels

Sent: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 23:00:31 -0800 by Kirk McKusick

| Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 17:43:53 +1100 (EST)
| From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
| >
| > Labels should be write protected, but this seems to have been broken
| > by GEOM.
|
| Disk labels certainly used to be write protected. Not sure when that
| stopped, but it certainly would have been useful in this recent context.

    Write protect after 'disklabel ...' disappeared roughly 01
    Oct when GEOM became the default. Prior to that, before
    rewriting a label it was always necessary to 'disklabel -W
    special' to rewrite.

    With GEOM, I made it a habit to 'disklabel -N special'
    after writing a label which is probably why I lost only the
    single UFS2 partition with the updated UFS2 in the 1200Z 27
    Nov build, rather than the whole dangerously dedicated disk
    (which would have created excessive angst).

    FWIW, I keep copies of all disklabels and pgp keys on
    separate 3.5s. Since I have them, I haven't needed them.

    Yes, disklabel protect after write should be restored.