Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 11:26:51 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        "Preston S. Wiley II" <pwiley@freebsd.tesserae.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Configuration.

"Preston S. Wiley II" wrote:

>         In comparing FreeBSD w/ Linux, I've heard alot of people bitch and
> moan about the difficulty(?) of configuring the kernel. They complain
> about having to edit a file and using weird abbreviations for things. Is
> there anything out there to do this, and if not, I seems like it would be
> a fairly easy thing to add. Any thoughts?

Anyone complaining about editing a file to configure a kernel is...
well, I don't know what they are expecting to do with a Unix.

Anyway, the thought on this matter is the following: we don't want
such a tool. We want to get rid of kernel configuration. We want
everything plug&play, demand-loaded. Of course, there'll be a
configuration file for stupid things like ISA, though that won't be
kernel configuration. And there'll probably be residual kernel
configuration for some options that just can't be placed anywhere
else. It is in this direction that we think efforts must be
concentrated.

Anyway, it (the tool you mention) "seems" a fairly easy thing to
add, and we have seen HUNDREDS of people coming say that before. No
tool has resulted (though prototypes were made available now and
then). I think that tells something, though I'm not sure what it is.
Aside from telling me this thread is useless.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"People call him Neutron Star, 'cuz his so dense lights bends
around him."