Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:08:04 GMT
From:      Socketd <db@traceroute.dk>
To:        mufassa bendover <mamasboy256@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: there must be a better way

On 9/27/02, 8:42:23 AM, "mufassa bendover" <mamasboy256@hotmail.com> wro=
te=20
regarding there must be a better way:

> to the FreeBSD people:
>     I wanted to use your product but i had to back off.=20

Ok

>Do you know why?

No

> This is because you guys make it so complicated to operate that when a=
> UNIX newbie wants to use your product (which is a good thing)he usuall=
> backs away when he sees very complicated stuffs and functions.
> EXAMPLE:
> Who in the earth would want to memorize this whole thing just to mount=

> a cdrom in practical life...
> %mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0c /usr/mnt/cdrom

Have you never considered spending a little money on a book? Something=20
like:
"FreeBSD an Open-source operating system for your personal computer" or
"FreeBSD Unleashed"?

Maybe, just maybe, it is you there is something wrong with, not the=20
system.
Btw, to make mounting easier:
Add "/dev/acd0c	/cdrom	cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0"
to /etc/fstab. From now on you can just write "mount /cdrom" or you can =

get a daemon to mount everything for you automatically when you need it.=

> So my Question is WHEN ARE YOU GUYS GOING TO COME OUT WITH A DIST
> IN WHICH TOUSANDS OF TEENEGERS WILL ATTRACT...NOT REJECT? Dont you
> you people should consider the newbies too

How much did you pay for FreeBSD?=20
Did you never consider that FreeBSD is a server system?
What will FreeBSD gain by getting 1000 teenage users?
If you want a user-friendly, grafical, non-server, desktop OS, you may=20
take a look at MS windows or Linux SuSE/red hat. I would really hate it =

if the FreeBSD maintainers put more in the default kernel and base=20
system, just to make it more userfriendly. I like FreeBSD the way it is,=
=20
it is powerful, stable, relatively secure and have a great performance, =

it is a really good server system (just ask Yahoo!). I doesn't sound lik=
e=20
you are looking for a server system, so chose a different OS or spend=20
some time getting to know this cool OS.

Br
socketd