Date:      17 Oct 2001 10:43:34 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of the UNIX Trademark

Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> writes:

| Nobody's denying that there was a BSD UNIX.  The question is, is FreeBSD BSD
| UNIX?  The answer is "no".  With the removal of the last of the AT&T code
| from BSD, it lost the right to be called UNIX.  I believe this was also part
| of the out-of-court settlement with AT&T.

UNIX ["UNIX" is a registered trademark of The Open Group] is mostly dead at
this point.  But the trademark can still bite you in the rear, thanks to The
Open Group ["The Open Group" is a registered trademark of The Open Group].

That's okay, though.  Its progeny live on, free and unencumbered.  I'm pretty
sure we can say:

        FreeBSD has its historical roots in BSD UNIX 4.4 (UNIX is now a
        registered trademark of The Open Group), and is. . . .

After that point, you refer to it as a BSD operating system, or possibly a
Un*x-style operating system ["Un*x" is probably not a registered trademark of
The Open Group].  Of course, we can get caught if "BSD" is a trademark.  Is it?
Whoops.  Has anyone checked?

I think it's time to stake a claim on "BSD" instead of Yuniqs ["Yuniqs" is most
certainly not a trademark of The Open Group], and let out old friend out to
pasture.  It's earned it, after all that legal battle.