Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:34:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Remy Nonnenmacher <remy@boostworks.com>
To:        archie@whistle.com
Cc:        luigi@info.iet.unipi.it, luigi@FreeBSD.ORG, csg@waterspout.com, pavel@alum.mit.edu, nsayer@sftw.com, julian@elischer.org, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal for ethernet, bridging, netgraph

On 26 Apr, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo writes:
>> > 1) create an ether_input2() that {bpf_tap(), brige(), m_adj();
>> > ether_input()}
>> > 2) Call ether_input2() from any simple drivers doing the ripping.
>> > 3) keep all 'strange' or not-reviewed drivers using the standard
>> > ether_input()
>> > 4) carefully move all these drivers needing review to ether_input2()
>> > 5) merge ether_input2 into ether_input when there will be no more
>> > driver using the standard ether_input.
>>
>> which is basically my proposal, with step 5 left to the guys
>> in northern europe who do all the dirty works :)
>
> Isn't this essentially what I've already done (steps 1-5)?
>
> -Archie

Essentially...no. Remains the problem of the place for ether header
ripping. We have two choices:

1) Let drivers call ether_input() as now and have hard time in the
bpf/bridging code to reconstitute the parameters awaited. (bottom-up
way, One big rewriting)

2) Modify all drivers to let ether_input() do the ripping and use the
unmodified bridging code. (top-down way, many little modifications)

With the simplification of the ether_input2() step, it would not be too
difficult. Have a look at bdg_forward() and mind the modifications...

Also, while we are at this level, it would be a good idea to coordinate
with current BGL push-down/pull-up work under SMP.

RN.
IeM