Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:53:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        nerd@xyz.com
Cc:        "Gary Thorpe" <gat7634@hotmail.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Larry McVoy's slides on cache coherent clusters

:
:In another email on the same thread, Matt Dillon wrote:
:
:>NUMA then becomes just another, faster transport mechanism.  That is
:>the direction I believe the BSDs will take... transparent clustering
:>with NUMA transport, network transport, or a hybrid of both.
:
:Matt: If you don't have a single memory immage you don't have NUMA.
:If you do have it then the transport mechanism will be saturated just
:moving "RAM" around and will not be available for network, I/O or
:whatever else.
:
:-michael
:
:michael at michael dot galassi dot org

    Well, I wasn't trying to intimate that programs could migrate willy
    nilly across the cluster.  I was just saying that NUMA is roughly
    equivalent to clustering in terms of deterministic program and OS design
    (basically what you said about never migrating outside of a quad),
    so its better to design an OS or an application to run well in a clustered
    environment, which covers NUMA, rather then just a NUMA environment.

    My opinion in regards to clustering closely matches what you said.
    I am heavily into peer-to-peer quorum-write based infrastructure designs
    that can survive machines going on and off line willy nilly in a
    cluster without glitching the 'application' running on top of
    the infrastructure.  I still intend to get the database technology
    I developed at Backplane Inc (which is exactly the above) into the
    open-source world.

    In anycase, I have great respect for Sequent.  When I was at Berkeley
    working on Postgres we had a (I think) 16 processor (486 based) sequent
    and it blew away everything else the university had at the time.  The
    only thing that ran 'slow' was the final link line in the build :-)

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>