Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:18:41 +0900
From:      Luke Kearney <lukek@meibin.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Hardware problems or Software problems

Hello,

I have a server which recently died on me. I believed that the problem
was likely the memory as the machine would reboot of its own accord
initially when accessing via samba or NFS. Then I noticed that it would
reboot when under no load. Given that the motherboard and CPU etc was
pushing three years old it seemed like a good opportunity to upgrade to
some newer kit I had. I installed a new ASUS P4800 motherboard with a
celeron 2.20ghz chip and brandnew 512mb memory.

Now again whilst under no load at all it will freeze. The only original
parts are the HDD's. My difficulty is that nothing is left in the logs
or on std out.

If it is the disks I will reluctantly replace but I cannot see why disks
would cause a reboot and leave nothing logged such as a time out or
anything.

Are there any specific commands I can issue during start up to increase
the verbosity of logging to try to capture the root cause for this ?

Any assistance is appreciated.

LukeK

--
Luke Kearney <lukek@meibin.net>