Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 20:30:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, mike@smith.net.au, karl@Mcs.Net, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, dswartz@druber.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MMAP problems

> > The problem Garrett notes is, IMO, "pilot error" and has to do with
> > the failure to call msync() when it is necessary.  Per the discussion,
> > it can be made possible to not need to call msync().
>
> Subsequent to your dissertation, do you have any suggested fixes?

Someone needs to go over the mmap code with a fine tooth comb,
with a critical eye towards what happens when a page from a
mapped region is nominally LRU'ed out from under it, and then
subsequently read-faulted back in.

Unless there is a specific difference for executable page handling,
I'll note that I expect this problem to show up from use of shared
libraries, as well.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---