Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 22:13:47 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "David M. White" <dmwhite@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        president@juno.com, info@nrwpr.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, mediarelations@globalcenter.net, barrs@perkinscoie.com, info@kana.com, projectfeedback@yahoo.com, perrinsaxe@earthlink.net
Subject:   Re: Why Juno is the worst email provider in America

Redirected to -chat where it belongs.

"David M. White" writes:
> Juno President:
>
> I have been trying to discontinue my Juno service for the last
> half hour.  As a person who works for a living, I have been
> calling from work since you are an internet provider that does
> not allow a person to manage his/her account via the internet.
>
> I have been trying to disconnect my Juno service.  I had to call
> Juno three times to be connected to a human being.  The first two
> times, after lengthy hold sessions, I was disconnected.  On the
> third try I was connected to a young man so poorly trained that
> he was having trouble reading his prompt card.  I gave him my
> Juno email address.  He did not ask me my name, he read it back
> to me.  He did not ask me my phone number, he read it back to
> me.  He then asked me for my credit card number and expiration
> date.  Oddly enough, I do not carry credit cards on my person on
> a daily basis for safety reasons.  He refused to cancel my
> account with me reading him my credit card number.
[...]

Am not familiar with Juno. Are they not a free internet service? Not
that it matters. Clearly you didn't expect to be making a payment when
you called to cancel therefore I'm guessing the credit card number Juno
has on file for you is for identification. I'm a little confused why you
are upset they require some kind of identification that you are really
the you who established the account?

What kind of company would Juno be if anybody could claim to be you, and
cancel the account?

Seems like one should be able to use the Juno account to send email to
Juno requesting it be disconnected.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net