Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:36:00 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
To:        sclark46@earthlink.net
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD eats 169.254.x.x addressed packets

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Stephen Clark <sclark46@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 06/08/2010 02:05 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 01:45:59PM -0400, Stephen Clark wrote:
>>>
>>> Why does FreeBSD 6.3 eat 169.254.x.x addressed packet when
>>> 4.9 didn't?
>>
>> The following output would help:
>>
>> - ifconfig -a
>> - netstat -rn
>> - Contents of /etc/rc.conf
>>
>> Also, be aware that RELENG_6 is to be EOL'd at the end of this year:
>> http://security.freebsd.org/
>>
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> I am not sure that information is relevant. We have two systems configured
> identically one using 4.9 the other 6.3.
>
> We were replacing the 4.9 system with the 6.3 system.
> The internal lan had been setup on the 4.9 box using dhcpd
> handing out ip addresses in the 169.254.202/24 range.
>
> This box had been working for years.
>
> When we replaced it with the identically configured 6.3 box
> we could no longer ping the internal interface which had an ip
> address of 169.254.202.1. So after spending about a day trouble
> shooting we finally realized if we changed the address to
> 169.253.202.1 everything worked on the 6.3 box.

Yes... the problem is that you're handing out auto-DHCP IP addresses
to clients using dhcpd .. I wouldn't expect this to work particularly
well unless you have routing set up for that (especially because there
is code in the kernel that is explicitly told to not route packets
from this psuedo subnet due to an RFC change (look for RFC 3927 2.7
under sys/netinet/ip_input.c).

Thanks,
-Garrett