Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 17:24:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        ScaryG <scaryg@sputnik.org>
Cc:        Kurtis Smith <ksscendyn@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Traffic shaping natd dhcp and ipfw

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, ScaryG wrote:

> > Ok so what I could do then is stop the DHCPD service
> > which would suck for more computers adding to the network
>
>  That depends...
>
>  As I understood it, you wish to control what stations have Internet
> access?
>
>  If you use DHCP the stations would get a different IP number each day, and
> that kinda destroy your ability to handcuff them on a per machine basis.
>
>  So yes, perhaps not using DHCP may be part of your solution.
>
>  However, next up, can you not determine who has access to your daemons by
> using /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow? That would let you limit
> telnet, ftp, email.

	/etc/hosts.deny and hosts.allow only apply to telnet and ftp
	access TO your BSD machine...not to the rest of the internet.
	You need to run a firewall to block these types of services going
	outbound to the internet.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
 "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"