Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 12:59:54 -0600 (CST)
From:      Hal Snyder <hal@vailsys.com>
To:        jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Excessive crashing of Netscape?

> Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 12:01:12 +0100
> From: "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> I think that most Netscape 4.04 problems are related to the mail/news
> reader. Web browsing is fairly stable, but the mail reader has
> some flaws. I have not tested NS4 for W95, but I also use
> regularly NS4 for Macintosh and it runs pretty well; crashes and
> locks are rare. I must say that I use NS4 as mail reader
> because of its IMAP capabilities, mailbox management and filters,
> but I have to kill-9 the NS process almost every day on both
> FreeBSD and SPARC/Solaris boxes.

We have a fairly simple Java applet that works ok on other OS's and on
FreeBSD Netscape *except* it crashes Netscape (both Navigator and
Communicator) 100% of the time on FreeBSD if we run with Depth 24 in
/etc/XF86Config. The coredump happens with the Linux binary as
well. It is the only X11 app we know of that does this.