Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:29:48 -0500
From:      Walter Betancourt <walterbetanc@access4less.net>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dns problem?

Jim Durham wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Walter Betancourt wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have isdn service, one static ip address with Netopia R-3100 router,
> > using windows on router port for general work and
> > port forwarding for all services to my freebsd 4.0 server
> > one registered domain with apache, master dns
> > and using secondary dns from easydns.com
> >
> > all works normally www, ftp, locally using windows,
> > but cannot be accessed from outside world, unless the IP address is
> > used instead of domain name for all.
> >
> > I keep looking for problem in reverse dns file but no results.
> >
> > am I looking and not seeing ?
> >

> I'd try 'nslookup' and change the server to whatever machine
> you're on at easydns.com and see if it knows who you are.
>
> Do you have port 53 open to the FreeBSD machine?
>
> I'm guessing that if you can't get name service in the outside
> world, that easydns can't suck down your domain file either
> and neither is working ??
>
> -Jim

thanks for the reply Jim,

I have researched this for couple weeks,

udp/53 is open and easydns.com has my dns records in their cache.

outsiders can reach my server by using http://ip address

and ftp://ip address so I keep working on it being reverse dns problem,

using dig and nslookup for domain name or ip address

end up at my Netopia router input which I think is what they should.

I can use my windows unit (on router hub, locally) and access normally,

with domain name, web and ftp.

Its got to be pretty dumb error on my part, only one domain to worry

about, but cant get a handle on it.

Walt