Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 1997 14:13:32 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   System no longer finding sd(0,a)/kernel...

Hi...

	I have a remote system that is running an older 2.2-CURRENT that
has suddenly decided to not boot, and am wondering if anyone can make a
comment on the cause...

	Since its remote, my information is limited, but from the gentleman
that acted as my eyes/hands, if, at the boot: prompt, he did nothing, the
system came back with an error about not finding /kernel, as it did if he
typed in sd(0,a)/kernel...

	Unfortunately, altho it is very limited information, its all I have :(

	I have a friend going to the office with a new motherboard/CPU as
well as a brand new hard drive to replace the root drive...so more then
anything, I'm wondering what the chances are that I'll be able to recover
anything off that other drive...like, what are the chances that the problem
was merely an 'fsck' that removed /kernel, but left the other file systems
in tack :(

	Please respond to my Reply-To:, as the system that all my FreeBSD
mailing list stuff goes to happens to be the system that is down :(

Thanks...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org