Date:      15 Nov 2002 15:17:11 +1000
From:      Duncan Anker <d.anker@au.darkbluesea.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How can I get a core dump?

Hi folks,

I'm trying to debug an irritating little apache module problem.
Periodically httpd is seg-faulting, so I have rebuilt it statically with
full debugging flags and no strip options in an effort to find out why.

Unfortunately, no core image is being saved when the seg-fault occurs. I
have poked around the OS but can't find anything. Core file size is
infinite, there is plenty of space. I thought maybe that since it dumps
the core in the working directory by default, maybe it didn't have write
access. I tried changing the sysctl kern.corefile to /tmp/%N.core but to
no avail.

I have tried running with the -X flag, but all that does is stall the
web server, and the seg-faults stop (perhaps because no requests are
getting answered).

I'm stuck for ideas now. Is there something I optimized out of the
kernel that needs to be in there, perhaps? Some secret flag that only
kernel hackers are privy to?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful. I really want to
get this problem knocked over soon.

Thanks in advance,

--
Duncan Anker