Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 12:32:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Fernando P . Schapachnik" <fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar>, please don't continue on <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Exchange substitute

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Fernando P . Schapachnik wrote:

>       Sorry if these are not the appropiate fora.

advocacy is probably not appropriate; please consider continuing this
discussion just on chat.

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Sendmail + Cyrus IMAP from ports will do the job.

This will do the shared/group calendaring?

> Are you using any esorteric features of Excahnge that we
> should know about?  You may also need to add OpenLDAP 2.0
> or other software, if you are.

I also am curious about this. On Tuesday, I gave a presentation about BSD,
open source, and Linux; and some of the audience asked me about
alternatives for MS Exchange/Outlook -- in particular they were interested
in providing shared calendars. (I guess this is called "groupware".)
I have only heard about evolution, so it was my only answer.

But then later, I remembered reading about HP's OpenMail. It is available
for Linux -- maybe it runs under FreeBSD. My Agilent-working father
believes that OpenMail is mostly compatible with MS Exchange's
features (and since he is a former-HP employee, he believes it is a lot
better). But, I believe that OpenMail isn't being supported anymore, and
in the next few years it will be phased out.

As for evolution, I don't know much about it. I hear that it uses some
iCalendar protocol and will work with other calendaring systems.

Fernando, the "unix-based MS Exchange substitute" may really involve two
parts: the server and the clients that work with it. You may want to see
if the clients you are using support iCalendar or Open Mail.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/