Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 15:08:47 +0100 (CET)
From:      N <niels@bakker.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 installation problems

Quoth Ulf Zimmermann:

> I have problems with the 3.0-R install on a net 10 install. The company I
> work at uses 10.0/16 as the local address space and then a NAT/Firewall wall.
> Adding a default route to 10.0.1.1 hangs for ever, even with a nameserver
> configured. Installing with no DNS settings and using just plain IPs, the
> install works fine.

My experience: insert boot disk, boot computer, configure fxp0, hang on
"Adding default route".  Slap forehead, insert Ethernet cable.
Unfortunately, once a DNS timeout seems to always be a DNS timeout on the
boot disks; ^C'ing out of that particular message box is pretty impossible
as well (it'll reboot if you try).

Another thing I noticed yesterday: you can't have more than about ten
disks attached when installing from boot.flp, else it'll run out of inodes
creating the devices in /dev and have no space left for any temporary
files in /tmp.  I had to disconnect most of the external SCSI disks to
even install 3.0.  I tried some older boot disks but to no avail, they're
all pretty short on inodes.

Disklabel fails with a non-intuitive error if you try to disklabel a disk
with half-complete entries in /dev, too.  For the rest, 3.0 screams. :-)

Take care,

	-- Niels.