Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2018 09:59:04 +0430
From:      "Philip Paeps" <philip@freebsd.org>
To:        "Dan Mahoney" <freebsd@gushi.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating www/py-recaptcha

On 2018-04-23 01:44:27 (+0430), Dan Mahoney (Gushi) wrote:
> This port is pretty much useless as a dependency, since Google has now
> deprecated the v1 captcha (which is all this code can do).

Oh wow.  I completely forgot I'm maintaining this.  I haven't had a use
for it in ages.

> It's been fixed here:
> https://github.com/redhat-infosec/python-recaptcha
>
> (I.e. the module name this code generates uses the same import name,
> but any underlying code still needs to be slightly tweaked to generate
> a v2 captcha).
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Do you want a patch -- or would this just be considered a new port
> since the master site would be different?

If the original upstream is abandoned and the new upstream uses the same
name and presents the same interface to consumers, we can keep the same
port.  We may need to bump the epoch if the version numbering is
different.  If the new port is is completely different, it's probably
better to get rid of this one (after a suitable deprecation period).

Patches are always welcome.  If you're interested in this port, feel
free to set yourself as MAINTAINER.  I have no use for this at the
moment.  I'm happy to review and commit your changes though.

> 2) I can't figure out how to tell what packages (if any) depend on
> this -- I know how to do it with *installed* packages, but not *all
> packages total*, so I know who to reach out to for having them update.
>  Can someone clue me in?

Try `pkg rquery %ro py27-recaptcha`.

Philip

--