Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 2008 01:07:05 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E1bor_K=F6vesd=E1n?= <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marc Fonvieille <marc@blackend.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [Sort of RFC] Ports and packages for docs

Marc Fonvieille escribió:
> Hello,
>
> Currently, it's difficult for the average user to update his docs.
> Most of time, the docs are installed during OS install time and are
> never updated.
> Another problem is the fact the doc build requires a lot of diskspace
> and a lot of time on slow architectures/CPUs/etc which is a problem
> during release process.
>
> To sum up, we're lacking of a simple way to install and update docs
> without any compilation operation.
Hello Marc,

I think it is a very good idea. It can happen that someone can't go
online to check the documentation so it would be really useful to have a
method to install the docs easily.
Thanks for working on this!

> These packages provide html-split version (of course other formats are
> possible, I just want to limit the bandwidth) of the 20081130 docset.
> Another thing to note, the packages install docs in
> /usr/local/share/doc/freebsd

Maybe you could also add an option (like OVERWRITE_BASE or something
like that) to install them to the usual /usr/share/doc location. In this
way, we could avoid duplication between the base and the ports version
and keep using the path we got used to. It is not very smart to install
things outside from /usr/local, but I think it can be useful in some
cases and this particular is such one. A couple of other ports also do
this (like BIND, OpenSSH, etc.).

Regards,

--
Gabor Kovesdan