Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 15:48:46 +1100 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FTP install from CD

Hi,

I am trying to FTP install 2.1.5R from a CD mounted on another machine and
not having any success.  The machine I am installing on to has an NE2000
clone ethernet card which is identical to the one I have already
running.  I am using userconfig (boot -c) to set the correct IRQ, port
etc. for the ethernet card and it is detected at startup OK.  Once the
network interface is configured on the new machine I can ping it from my
FTP server machine.  The problem is that the new machine can't find the
distributions on the FTP server.  I have tried the following options:

- set the FTP user home directory in the passwd file to /cdrom (using vipw)
  and set the URL to connect to as ftp://172.16.1.1  (my private IP number)

- set the FTP user home directory in the passwd file to /usr/ftp and use
  lndir to link /usr/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.5-RELEASE to /cdrom/dists then
  set the URL to ftp://172.16.1.1/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.5-RELEASE

both of these options failed.

If I use a command line FTP client to connect in either of these cases I
am able to transfer the files but the installer can't find them.

Any suggestions ?

Cheers,
Carey

| Carey Nairn                     | email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au |
| Infrastructure Services         | phone : (03) 6226 7419              |
| Information Technology Services | fax   : (03) 6226 7898              |
| University of Tasmania.         | int'l : (+61 3)                     |