Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:38:25 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB 2 HP Laserjet 2550L problem

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 07:14:46 +0100
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org> wrote:

> support, so I'm using it as a PostScript printer.
>
> 	It /nearly/ works. The first job to the printer prints fine (and
> quickly) but the data transfer light keeps flashing and the printer
> will not print anything else until a timeout passes, at which point
> there's a small clunk from the printer and it will take one more job.
> In the interevening period it swallows all the data sent to it but
> never prints anything.

Here are some hints for tracking the problem down:

Some Postscript printers adhere very strict to the "protocol". This
means that they will wait (and wait, and wait...) for the end of job
character (Ctrl-D) before they think that a job is finished. This is
normally included in print filters for Postscript, so if you are using a
standard print filter, this probably isn't the problem.

Another problem is the "data in print buffer, but I haven received a ff
(new page) command / character". Typical of this problem is a flashing
or lit "data" light on the printer. Some printers will then swallow data
until they get their buffer emptied (new job, new page, etc.).

HTH
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,