Date:      Sat, 07 Apr 2007 13:35:11 -0500
From:      Eric <eric@mikestammer.com>
To:        Jay Gordon <jgordon@datapipe.com>
Cc:        Brian Hartley <bhartley@hsoftllc.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail server blues

Jay Gordon wrote:
> go with qmail... it "rocks"
>
> http://www.qmailrocks.org/
>
> it's a damn good mta.

qmail is horrible and outdated. heres a ton of reasons not to use it:

http://www-dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/~ma/qmail-bugs.html

Sure qmail is nice if you want 3000 bounce messages because qmail is too
dumb of out of the box not to reject mail for invalid recipients before
queuing it, but hey, if you like that kind of thing or want to spend
time looking for patches to correct broken behavior, be my guest. =)

go with postfix. It works out of the box and it is actively maintained
plus there are a TON of good links on the postfix homepage.

This link:

http://www.flakshack.com/anti-spam/

will walk you through everything from start to finish for postfix and
antispam stuff. Theres a ton more here: http://www.postfix.org/docs.html

do yourself a favor and start with postfix. qmail could have been
something, but the arrogance of its author has relegated it to the has
been list, much like his other programs he's released. He should have
used a real open source license and then perhaps his programs would be
viable today.

But thats just my opinion! =)

for the imap/pop piece, go with dovecot. its simple to set up and light
on resources.

By the way, my site is setup using dyndns custom DNS stuff, so its very
similar to yours. I use postfix + dovecot for my email needs and it
works perfectly.

Best of luck

Eric