Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:36:57 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: in-kernel HTTP Server for FreeBSD?

Thomas Hurst wrote:
> * Dag-Erling Smorgrav (des@ofug.org) wrote:
> > Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com> writes:
> > > Is there any In-Kernel HTTP Server for FreeBSD, like there is kHTTPD
> > > for Linux?
> >
> > God forbid!  Lots of hack value, sure, but not something you'd
> > seriously consider for production use.
>
> Don't functions like FreeBSD's zero-copy sendfile() provide similar
> performance benefits without the massive security issues?
>
> If the remaining speed "hog" of switching to userspace to process the
> request itself is causing noticable bottlenecks, I think that's a sign
> you need more Pentium than the service needs moving to the kernel :)

Not actually.

If you have followed the khttpd work at all, then you'll
know that Ingo has actually done some admirable work in
it.

Basically, the entire fast path, including the TCP stack,
is small enough that the whole thing fits into the CPU
cache itself, without any cache misses.

It's actually very fast, considering (there are ways to
make it faster that are actually more applicable to the
FreeBSD approach, and which would take Linux a lot of
work, even if they started from the QLinux base).

For static content, such as the images and other content
minus the main (non-static) page itself, it's quite a
significant win for "first hits", which comprise the
majority of HTTP traffic.

-- Terry