Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 1997 14:33:49 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>, Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current is currently really a mess (was: Re: Tk/Tcl broken(?))

>From The Desk Of Steve Passe :
> On the tcl beta issue, I think we're forgetting that tcl has always been
> a royal pain as far an the "version thing" is concerned.  Every time I turn
> around I get bit by the wrong tcl header being in place.  Tcl is a problem
> in and of itself that needs work.

Yes, tcl has alway been a pain and I suspect that it will remain so
in the near forseable future.

I think that if we have an approach similar to the base system that is
if you introduce a new version of package then it is the responsibility
of to the porter to make sure that the rest of the ports are updated or
that they work if not then back out the port.

This problem exists for both -current and -stable.

The problem that I see is that people are becoming *too* comfortable with
the existing system:

To me this is trivial:
---
Every tcl/tk related port is broken in -current, because the
tcl 8.0 import seems to break everything.
Canīt build _any_ tcl/tk related port in the moment.

No tk41, no scotty, couldnīt finish work on an apache port
with python support (because python depends on tk41, which
doesnīt compile anymore), mrtg, tkman and so on ....
---

If the base distribution does not suit your particular needs then change
it or port the applications which are of interest. In the tcl8.0 case,
it has been out for a while so there are bounds to be updates to
your favorite package and if not then fix the port, get an old
version of tcl, etc...

I bet that if the people that are complaining would have spend half
of that time just fixing up their enviroment many of the existing
problems would have been solved.

We need the ports collection as a reality check against -current.

	Amancio