Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 1996 10:58:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu>
To:        "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>
Cc:        Richard Foulk <richard@pegasus.com>, hardware@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   cable vs. ISDN

> >Cable has a good chance of blowing ISDN away.  Much faster and cheaper.  And
> >it will be available in many places this year.  More, next.
>
> Cable is a pain.  It works only one way.  If you want to send a large file
> you still have to go slow.  And, you still need to be a member of a ISP
> as you can't write to cable, from what I've read.

Depends on how good your local cable system is.  The cable-data system
that Rogers Cable is introducing in the Toronto area is two-way (with
symmetrical bandwidth, amazingly enough, or at least that's the way it was
in the prototype system).

Incidentally, harking back to the original theme of this discussion :-),
the hardware used for the Rogers prototype talked to the computers by
Ethernet.

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@zoo.toronto.edu