Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:27:58 +0100
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Benjamin Meade <ben@lanwest.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 12:27:56PM +0800, Benjamin Meade wrote:
> Caio Souza Mendes wrote:
> >Then, it wants to say that version 5.3 will not be
> >stable and yes release?
>
> No, the RELENG tag indicates a stable build. The CURRENT tag is used for
> non-stable (development) build.

The CURRENT or STABLE tags have nothing to do with RELENG. Both CURRENT
and STABLE are used for development. RELENG is just a snapshot with
additional messarues to minimise the chance of anything going wrong.
(RELEASE 5.0 was very much alfa, 5.1 was more like beta)

To answer the orginal question 5.3 is likly going to be STABLE. I can
not say this for certain. I currently run FreeBSD 5.2 with KDE without any major
problems. The only problems I have are: shutting down with power down
option and running vmware3

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: