Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 13:16:09 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   How the Germans discovered Sex

Last week at USENIX, we touched on this matter, and I promised to send
an old mail message.  Here it is.

---- Begin ancient message ----

This message went round the Tandem internal mail system a while back.
The original message (down to the attached reply) is by Dave Kirby
(kirby_dave@tandem.com), the reply is by me. Excuse if you will the
shouting in the headers.

Greg Lehey (grog%lemis@germany.eu.net, whatever the headers on *this*
message say).

   SENT: 89-06-01  23:58
   FROM: KIRBY_DAVE @PRUNE
SUBJECT: Grumpy Grammarian finds loophole
I believe in the English language, and believe that rules for spelling,
punctuation, and grammar are necessary, just as any game must have rules
so that all the players know where they are in relation to the game and
to each other.

But I've discovered that not only is it sometimes acceptable to end a
sentence with a preposition, it is sometimes *mandatory*.  For example,
"The breeze blew up her dress" is nowhere near the same thing as "The
breeze blew her dress up."

         Grumpy Grammarian finds loophole

Dave, this particular rule must be seen in historical perspective:

Once upon a time, there were a couple of German tribes, one from the
North, one from the South. The ones from the South went downriver to
where the ones from the North were, and found life wasn't much better
there either, so they set off together looking for a New World. In
fact, they ended up on an island off the German coast, which they
called Sex in honour of the tribe from the south. It is still a
matter of some discussion as to whether they realised they had not
found the New World or not. In any case, they soon found that the
island was so big that they had to divide it into geographical areas,
such as Es-Sex, Sus-Sex and Wes-Sex (never did hear what happened to
Nor-Sex). They brought their language with them, including
interesting verb conjugation syntax such as separable verbs. A
separable verb is a verb starting with a preposition (where else
would you put a preposition? Wait and see).  An example might be the
verb "upblawan", to blow up.  Immediately we see a problem, typified
by the Irishman who went to Dublin to blow up a bus and burnt his
lips. The clever Sex-ones did not ignore the syntax of their
language, and conjugated these two meanings differently. The
following example should make this clear:

1. An Scots-Mann gaeth to Dublin and bleowth up anan for-allan. He
   barn his lippes.

2. An Scots-Mann gaeth to Dublin and bleowth anan for-allan up.
   Seofon and twentig was se toll thaes deadra.

To be sure that this is understood, we should translate it into a semblance
of English:

1. An Irishman went to Dublin and blew up a for-all. He burned his
   lips.

2. An Irishman went to Dublin, and blew a for-all up. Seven and
   twenty was the toll of the dead thereof.

  Aside: The astute reader will note some interesting details. In
  particular, the Engels and the Sex-ones were very hazy when it came
  to geography. Thus they considered the Irish to be Scots (though some
  say that this is due to problems of comprehension, such as still
  exist today). In addition, as we have also seen, they appeared to
  have taken Sex to be the New World. This misconception may have some
  bearing on the manner in which Sex is still treated in the New World.
  Yet another example is the handbook of the Englo-Sex-one language,
  Swede's Englo-Sex-one primer, written for the Nor-Manns some
  centuries later. As we will see, it failed to achieve its original
  purpose.

  In addition, a detail is apparent which causes some embarassment to
  modern Englishmen: as is well-known, the foreigners from the other
  side of the channel cannot pronounce the sound "th". It would appear
  that this once also applied to the Engels and the Sex-ones, since
  their word for "the" was "se". The example we see here must represent
  a snapshot in the transition to the use of this sound. The reason for
  the change is still obscure, though the leading theory attributes the
  changes to the unique weather which prevailed (and still, true to its
  tenacity, prevails) in Sex.

  Finally, the Engel-ish version no longer has the inflections at the
  end of nouns and verbs. We will see the reasons for this later.

With these simple syntactical rules, all was well. In the meantime,
however, the Norwegians were moving. Having determined that there
were more pleasant climates than their own (in fact, that all
climates were more pleasant than their own), they moved to the French
coast, a habit they continue to do to this day. And, then as now,
they were not received with open arms by the French. After a while,
they decided that what they really needed was a bit of Sex. Off they
set in their boats and headed, not, as you might expect, to Nor-Sex
(by this time they had changed their names to Nor-Mann, and you would
expect Nor-Sex to suit a Nor-Mann, wouldn't you?), but to Sus-Sex,
presumably because they didn't understand the language.  By this time,
you see, they had also adopted French as their language in order to
confuse the native French.

It turns out that you can still win a battle without speaking the
language, if needs be by poking the right people in the eye, and
Sus-Sex was taken over by the Nor-Manns.  In due course, they became
masters of all Sex, leaving the other people there, the Engels, to
call the place Engel-Land. Apart from this minor setback, however,
the Nor-Manns remained victorious. They set to remodelling the
Englo-Sex-one language so they could understand it. The French, you
see, have a habit of emphasising the last syllable of each word,
whereas most other people of the time emphasised the penultimate
syllable. The result was that anything which came after the stressed
syllable got dropped from the spoken language, leaving just enough at
the end of each word to make spelling of the language almost
impossible (especially considering their strange rules of sexual
union; but that is another story). For such people it made little
sense to put important parts of words or sentences at the end. (Other
sources, notably [Goscinny, Uderzo, 1967], claim that a habitual
over-consumption of wine and spirits, originally driven by the high
prices for alcohol in Nor-Way, led to the Nor-Manns being habitually
drunk and thus unable to summon the attention span necessary to wait
until the end of the sentence). As a result, they constructed
artifical and ill-suited rules which made the language easier to
understand in the 95% of the time when they were drunk, but
occasionally caused significant pain to Celts unable to understand
the background presented above.

Today, we are on the brink of the reunification of Europe for the
first time since the days of Carol the Gross (or Charles the
Magnifier, as the Nor-Manns would say, not to be confused with Charles
of France, who was big to start with). In 1992 all Europe will be
magnified, no unified, from the Meuse to the Nemunas and from the Adige
to the Baelt (no, wait a while, that was the last, unsuccessful
attempt). Now is the time, with antiquated traditions away to do.
Speak we the Englo-Sex-one language thus, as would our fore fathers
a-done have!  Belive we the speech of our ancestors again, show we
pride in the a-wrestlings of the past!

Speak-an-un-forfalsed-tongue-once-more-ing you what
Grog

---- End ancient message ----