Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 01:43:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        mcgovern@spoon.beta.com (Brian J. McGovern)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linking static with ncurses?

Brian J. McGovern wrote:
> This is kind of a dumb question, and its probably a configuration error
> someplace, but when I try to use the ncurses libaries, and link dynamically
> (I'm assuming the default), everything works fine. However, if I try to link
> statically, I get:
>
> 		../bin/dbfe dbfe.o msqldb.o dialogs.o field_edit.o forms.o
> 		picks.o keys.o -lmsql -lncurses -ltermcap -ltermlib
 [snip many unresolved symbols]
> Whats the blatently obvious thing I'm missing?
> 	-Brian

Well, it's not blatantly obvious, but I believe that adding -lmytinfo
will cure the problem.

As far as I'm concerned, libncurses.a is broken.  The cur_term symbol
(the one I picked for diagnosis,) is defined in libncurses.so :

[djv@castor lib]$ nm libncurses.so.3.1 | grep cur_term
00000004 C _cur_term
[djv@castor lib]$

but not in libncurses.a :

[djv@castor lib]$ nm libncurses.a | grep cur_term
         U _cur_term
         ... more of these ...
         U _cur_term
[djv@castor lib]$

cur_term is /data/, a piece of global data.

It (and some others) are declared in /usr/include/term.h

Dave
--
                               Unix System 7:
      an improvement on all other Unix releases, previous and subsequent.