Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 1995 17:14:53 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org
Subject:   Re: No declaration for bounds_check_with_label

>Could we locate a nice include file and include:

>extern int bounds_check_with_label(struct buf *bp, struct disklabel *lp,
>				   int wlabel);

>Several different drivers have to references this and it has no
>declaration.   The function is in machdep.c.

It is declared in <sys/disklabel.h> (since revision 1.11 1995/03/16),
but will go away.

Please update your driver(s) to use disk slices (dscheck()) so that
bounds_check_with_label() can go away ASAP.  See recent changes to
sd.c. for examples.  Unsliced unlabeled read-only disks are simpler
to handle.  dsopen() will eventually have a `struct diskgeom' arg
(the struct will be something like `struct disk_parms' in sd.c) so
that a dummy label doesn't have to be created in 1001 different
cdrom drivers.

The disk slice module also handles all for the DIOC* ioctls so that
drivers don't have to and correctly tracks open partitions.  Most
scsi and cd drivers incorrectly track open partitions.  Some of them
incorrectly declare their close function so they don't even know
about the `fmt' arg which is required for distinguishing closes of
the cdev from closes of the bdev.

Bruce