Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 11:08:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        stephane@e2c.com (Stephane Legrand)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI card : Asus SC200 or Tekram DC390 ?

In a previous message, Stephane Legrand said:
> Hello,
>
> I want to buy a cheap scsi2 card for my freebsd (2.1.5) box.
> I hesitate between Asus SC200 and Tekram DC390.
>
> I heard that the main problem with Asus SC200 is that it doesn't include a
> scsi BIOS and, therefore, it doesn't work if the PC mainboard doesn't
> support NCR bios ? Is that true ? And how to verify if my mainboard is
> comptatible ?

Somewhere in the BIOS has to tell you. Or your documentation that
came with your MB. If it doesn't say it, it doesn't have it.

On the other hand. The Symbios 815 (The ASUS SC200 is the Symbios 810)
is the same card with bios, and only costs $15-20 more.

> Second, i also read in mailing list archive that the Tekram use an AMD chip
> which is not so good than NCR chip used by Asus. Again, is that true ?
> Which card is the best for scsi2 ?

I don't know anything about the Tekram.

--
It is morally wrong to discriminate by disproportionate tax levies against
those who aquire material possessions at an abnormal rate, whether as a