Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 2014 10:53:14 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: i386 PAE kernel works fine on 10-stable

On Dec 14, 2014, at 10:12 AM, Ian Lepore wrote:

> On Sun, 2014-12-14 at 10:09 -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>> On Dec 14, 2014, at 9:47 AM, Ian Lepore wrote:
>>=20
>>> This is an out of the blue FYI post to let people know that despite =
all
>>> the misinformation you'll run across if you search for information =
on
>>> FreeBSD PAE support, it (still) works just fine.  I've been using it
>>> (for reasons related to our build system and products at $work) =
since
>>> 2006, and I can say unequivocally that it works fine on 6.x, 8.x, =
and
>>> now 10.x (and presumably on the odd-numbered releases too but I've =
never
>>> tried those).
>>>=20
>>> In my most recent testing with 10-stable, I found it was compatible =
with
>>> drm2 and radeonkms drivers and I was able to run Xorg and gnome just
>>> fine.  All my devices, and apps, and even the linuxulator worked =
just
>>> fine.
>>>=20
>>> One thing that changed somewhere between 8.4 and 10.1 is that I had =
>>> add a kernel tuning option to my kernel config:
>>>=20
>>> option  KVA_PAGES=3D768	    # Default is 512
>>>=20
>>> I suspect that the most frequent use of PAE is on laptops that have =
4gb
>>> and the default tuning is adequate for that.  My desktop machine has
>>> 12gb and I needed to bump up that value to avoid errors related to =
being
>>> unable to create new kernel stacks.
>>>=20
>>=20
>> There already is a #define that is bifurcated based on PAE in pmap.h:
>>=20
>> #ifndef KVA_PAGES
>> #ifdef PAE
>> #define KVA_PAGES       512
>> #else
>> #define KVA_PAGES       256
>> #endif
>> #endif
>>=20
>> Do you think it will harm things to apply your suggested default to =
this file?
>>=20
>=20
> I would have to defer to someone who actually understands just what =
that
> parm is tuning.  It was purely speculation on my part that the current
> default is adequate for less memory than I have, and I don't know what
> that downside might be for setting it too high.
>=20

KVA pages is the amount of pages reserved for kernel address space:

 * Size of Kernel address space.  This is the number of page table pages
 * (4MB each) to use for the kernel.  256 pages =3D=3D 1 Gigabyte.
 * This **MUST** be a multiple of 4 (eg: 252, 256, 260, etc).
 * For PAE, the page table page unit size is 2MB.  This means that 512 =
pages
 * is 1 Gigabyte.  Double everything.  It must be a multiple of 8 for =
PAE.

It appears that our default for PAE leaves 1GB for kernel address to =
play with?  That's an interesting default.  Wonder if it really makes =
sense for PAE since the assumption is that you'll have >4GB ram in the =
box, wiring down 1.5GB for kernel would seem to make sense=85  Probably =
make sense to ask Peter or Alan on this.

Also wondering how bad it would be to make these tunables, I see they =
trickle down quite a bit into the system, hopefully not defining some =
static arrays, but I haven't dived down that far.

Ian, just to understand better, how much memory is in your machine?

-Alfred