Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 15:04:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        (Satoshi Asami) <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why is tcl in base distribution

On 17-Dec-97 Satoshi Asami wrote:
> * (1) Why is tcl in the base distribution if it is not used?
>
>Beats me.  You can safely remove everything that matches
>"/usr/*/*tcl*" and "/usr/share/mann/*/*" though.  Use NOTCL for your
>next make world and you will never see tcl in the base system again.

What to you do about src/contrib/tcl?  cvsup dutifully populates this
directory.

> * (2) Why is the ports-current collection ignoring the version of
> *     tcl installed with the base distribution?
>
>Because the damn thing is so incompatible with itself, and have a lot
>of ports depend on each of the versions.
>
>If you want a longer version, I can forward you my 1.6MB archive from
>the most recent round of flames.

I've been reading the mailing lists for quite sometime and recall the
previous dialogue(s).  Please do not missing understand me.  I am not
attacking the fact that the ports are self contained.  I think the
original arguments for including tcl in the base distribution are bogus,
and tcl rightfully belongs in ports.

Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~clesceri/kargl.html