Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:19:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Joe Shevland <J_Shevland@TurnAround.com.au>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Java wrapper/Jikes question

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Joe Shevland wrote:

> Sounds good, I still haven't experienced any problems (and geez its fast!).
>
> Just by-the-by, GnuJSP is Gnu's Java Server Pages implementation of the JSP
> 0.91 specification. JSP pages work very similar to MS's Active Server Pages
> (dynamic page generation based on scripting tags and embedded objects). So
> you can embed Java code in HTML for things like db access, session tracking
> etc.

Just in passing, I think that, this one time, the GNU people are doing
something very unethical.  I like it when they write software that
replaces stuff that isn't openly available, but Sun has been making the
entire Java thing as open as anyone could possibly wish for.  The fact
that they found a way to do this and make money isn't bad, it's a great
stroke of good luck, and the free software world (you and I) want to
encourage this stuff.  The GNU people haven't made this any more open,
they've only made it obvious to Sun that their own copyright is nearly
worthless, because GNU is going to follow on and turn it into a
copyleft.

Seeing as what Sun is doing (and IBM too!) is so out of the ordinary,
and great for software hackers like us, I just wish those GNU guys would
go attack a different target.  I want to encourage Sun and IBM, not
insult them.

Note I moved this to -chat, because it's non-technical.  I won't respond
to this on the java list, please be kind about that.

> It operates using a single servlet and an Apache action handler for *.jsp
> files. Any time after the *.jsp file changes, and then 'hit' by a client, it
> is recompiled into a servlet class and loaded into memory. That's one of the
> beauties of JSP, the servlets remain in memory so there's no latency for

Is there a http: address for the JSP stuff?

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).