Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 2008 05:51:56 -0600
From:      "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>
To:        "Wojciech Puchar" <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Subject:   Re: Multiple sound cards snd_hda

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Wojciech Puchar
<wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
> do you make sound studio or just connecting lots of gsm phones to asterisk
> PBX using chan_celliax? ;)

I am attempting to setup a multi room(zone) home audio(mp3) system
it would be ideal to have 9 zones so I am "thinking" that with the new
hda driver in current
I can use all 6 connections on the Encore ENM232-8VIA, as separate outputs

using the following text from the snd_hda man page as a basis, I hope to
set up 3 stereo 2.0 devices per physical sound card. Maybe I could get
6 per sound card I will have to try it out.

 Example 4
     Setting the device.hints(5) options

     hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid20.config="as=1 seq=0"
     hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid24.config="as=1 seq=1 device=Line-out"
     hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid26.config="as=1 seq=2 device=Line-out"
     hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid21.config="as=2 seq=0"

     will give 2 devices: pcm0 for 5.1 playback via 3 rear connectors (line-
     out and retasked mic and line-in) and headset (headphones and mic) at
     front connectors.  pcm1 for internal speaker playback.  On headphones
     connection rear connectors will be muted.

I am hoping to find a way to have several separate copies of amarok
running at once
to feed the separate output channels.

any input from anyone would be appreciated.

Sam Fourman Jr.