Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 12:15:18 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Song Lining <sln@public.jn.sd.cn>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HUB definition???

On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Song Lining wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Perhaps this question is too foolish, but who can tell me what is a HUB?
> How about the connections between the several ports of a HUB? Do I need
> a crossover cable to cascade two hubs?
>
> Thanks!
> ShenXu

Well the question might not be so foolish, but a bit irrelevant to this
list. If you're going to do some networking, and you're new to the
subject, you should probably get a book on the subject. One of the classic
textbooks on the subject is "Computer Networks" by Andrew Tanenbaum,
published by Prentice Hall (just saw it has a 3rd edition, I have the
2nd). It's a background textbook about networking in general, and covers
almost any networking technology. I used it when I was an undergraduate CS
student, and I teach from it nowadys.

For ethernet specifics, I have "Advanced Ethernet/802.3 Management and
Performance Second Edition" by Bill Hancock, published by Digital Press.

I'm sure there are many other great books on the subject.

To the point:
What's called a hub (and I figure you're talking ethernet hubs) is
formally a 10BaseT repeater. It repeats information coming in on any of
its ports to all others. When cascading two of those you may need a
cross-over cable, but some hubs have switches to do the crossing
internally for one of the ports. This swicth might be labeled something
like DCE/HUB or DCE/DTE or X/||. Note that there are limitations on how
many hubs you may cascade, which cables you may use, etc.

Nadav