Date:      Sat, 24 May 2003 11:04:57 -0400
From:      "Dean Searle" <Dean@computingoasis.com>
To:        "ODHIAMBO Washington" <wash@wananchi.com>, "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: -CURRENT, build kernel problem

I'm not sure what all steps your doing to get your kernel to build, but
here are the steps that I use every time and my 5.0 -CURRENT system
hasn't had a problem yet. Also you want to make sure that you have all
the options set in you make.conf file to ensure you are getting
optimized builds. Make sure you pay close attention to the first
mergemaster. You could put yourself in a bind if you install the wrong
change. All these steps were taken from the FreeBSD handbook in CH 21.

less /usr/src/UPDATING
cp /etc/defaults/make.conf	/etc/make.conf
cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster
./mergemaster.sh
cd /usr/src
make -DNOPROFILE buildworld
cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=3Dyourkernelname
make installkernel KERNCONF=3Dyourkernelname
cd /usr/src
make -DNOPROFILE installworld
mergemaster
cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall