Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 20:12:02 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Sascha Schumann <sas@schell.de>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: http://www.freebsd.org/~andreas/benches/index.html

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 02:37:00PM +0100, Sascha Schumann wrote:
> > Andreas Klemm                               http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
> > News :  FreeBSD 3.1 SMP outperforms SuSE Linux 6.0 SMP by 230% !!!
>
> Well, the numbers have changed (^^^ not).

I also changed the signature ...

> But the method is still insane.

Nearly every benchmark is insane. Therefore I'm only interested
how fast certain things can be done.

> A You are comparing not the same process, because there are numerous
> things which differ (e.g. libraries, compiler version, toolchain).

Yes, you are absolutely right ... Many things influence the
speeed of doing the task "compile this and that"...

> The only claim I would derive from such a test would be that
> "you can build your programs faster on FreeBSD." Sigh.

Well, guess for what purpose you want speed ... exactly for that.
So one aspect of speed is this compiling task ...

> Btw, SuSE 6.1 with kernel 2.2.3, KDE 1.1 and GNOME 1.0 will be shipped in
> April (international version will come out in May).

Fine...

--
Andreas Klemm                               http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
             FreeBSD SMP is approximately 120% of Linux SMP